Emma's new interview with Refinery29

[...]So, it goes without saying that we (and every person we know) were thrilled to have the chance to sit down and talk beauty with her, in honor of the launch of Revlon's new Nearly Naked makeup (in stores in January). Read on to learn all about Stone's skin care routine, her favorite Revlon product, and the hair color she loves most — and prepare to fall just a little bit more more in love with everyone's favorite leading lady

So, tell us all about this new foundation.
"Well, I like it because I break out all the time, and so I have to wear foundation daily, and it ends up being really thick. But, this [formula] lets me show off my freckles...which is a good thing."

Have you always embraced your freckles?
"No, not so much. I used to spray tan a lot when I was a teenager. The last time I got spray-tanned was for the Golden Globes. And I was like 'I love spray-tanning so much.' I still really like it. But it definitely makes me look like I have leprosy, after a point."



Are you super-vigilant about taking care of your skin? Are you big on SPF?
"Yeah, I wear pretty strong SPF. I'm actually pretty interested in skin care, because I had bad hormonal acne when I was 17, and they put me on Accutane for it. After two months on the Accutane, I went off of it, and since then, my skin, my mouth, my lips, my eyes are all so dry. Then, I had stress acne when I was 20, when I did Easy A, which they kindly video-airbrushed out of the movie. But I realized how debilitating and embarrassing it can be to have cystic acne. So, I'm really interested in the biology of what makes up acne and how to work on it from the outside, too. Wait. Why am I talking about that? What did you ask?"

About SPF.
"Yeah, so I'm vigilant about skin care across the board, both with sun and breakouts."

What's your typical skin care routine like when you're on set?
"Well, I'm pretty slutty with products. So that's part of the problem. I should work in a beauty department, because all I want to do is try whatever is happening. I like it, and I find it really interesting. For the most part, I use Cetaphil, the bar soap, and then these pads that I get from the dermatologist, and then Elta lotion. Ideally, I'd like to just use single-note products. But…I think I still need to work on my formulas...in my lab."

We've seen you pull off such a range of vibrant hair colors. Which is your personal favorite?
"Well I'm like the color of this [foundation bottle] cap — I'm so white. My hair grows out blonde, but my coloring is similar to that of a redhead. So...I really like having red hair. I'm a natural blonde, but I really like the red."  


Do you tend to take the lead when it comes to your hair and makeup for events?
"Oh, no! My trio is the reason that I've looked like a presentable human being in any circumstance. Petra Flannery is my stylist, who is the best-dressed woman alive, clearly. She's never forced anything on me, but she's brilliant. And Rachel Goodwin and Mara Roszak have done my makeup and hair for a long, long time. They work so well as a trio...I don't know how helpful my suggestions are. I'm like, 'Today, we should wear lashes!' and Rachel's like, 'No, we're not wearing lashes.' Or I'll say to Mara, 'We should do a topknot!' and she's be like 'Hmm...no, we're doing a ponytail.' So...I trust them very much."

What about your everyday makeup look? What are your top three products?
"Usually some foundation, some concealer, and mascara. And a lot of moisturizer. I put it on throughout the day."

Do you layer it on top of your foundation?
"Yeah, I just add it on on top of whatever I'm wearing. I don't know if it looks weird, but I do it anyway, because my skin is so dry that it can actually crack. It's bad. And this coffee is really helping...so yeah, I'm diligent about hydration."

What is the best tip that Rachel's taught you, makeup-wise?
"Brows! She always draws on a really strong eyebrow. And she sees my face completely differently than I see my face, so she does things that I'd never think of. I always feel like she makes my eyes look different, my brows look different…it's really cool, to see her artistry."

So, do you pencil in your eyebrows in the same way?
"Yup, I have this palette and it's just eyeshadow, so I'll just fill them right in."

Do you still break out?
"Yes, I'm breaking out right now!"

But you can't see it!
"It's because of Rach."

What do you put on your face when you do have a zit?
"Usually, I use tea tree oil. I can't go too crazy, or I'll get a rash. My skin is really sensitive. Whenever it's been really bad, I've gone to the dermatologist to get those cortisone shots. Those are amazing. They're kind of a miracle. But also kind of terrifying because this huge needle is coming at your face. But no pain, no gain!"

Back to hair. We're in love with your bangs. Do you have any tips for taming them on your days off?
"No. No! I am so bad at my own hair. I have no idea how to do it. It's really not fun. The only days that I'm like 'I'm so into my bangs!' are days that I've had my hair done. And then, I try to sleep like Marie Antoinette for as long as possible. Not like, in the guillotine...like, trying to preserve the wig (laughs)."

Is your texture naturally straight?
"Oh yeah, like bone-straight."

Do you wash it every day?
"Yeah, I have to. Well, I don't have to, but I wash it often if I don't want to look like a drowned rat. It's the truth."

Switching gears yet again, how do you stay healthy? Do you have a workout regimen?
"Well, I was kind of born with a 10-year-old boy's body. For years, I was like, 'Please let me grow some kind of curvature!' But it did not happen. So...this is my natural form for the most part. I'm sure that will change as the years go on. But, yeah, I have a boy body. I work out when I'm in a movie…like on Spider-Man, they get you a trainer, which is awesome, so then I do it. But, if there isn't someone yelling in my face then 'm just not into it. Pilates is the one thing that makes me happy while I'm doing it. But other than that, it puts me in a bad mood to lift stuff over my head. I hate it. But it is important to do it for my health, so I need to do it more."

Do tend to dress with the goal of creating curves?
"I mean, I've kind of given up the ghost on that one. It's not happening. So, I just kind of wear whatever I'm drawn to. There are no illusions there. I wish. I'd kill for some cha-chas and a tuckus!"

As we've seen today, you're super down-to-earth. Is it hard to hold on to your easygoing attitude amidst the Hollywood hoopla?
"Well, I've had this weird and crazed paranoia over the past year. I keep feeling like I'm slipping away from authenticity. I'm like 'Oh my god…I'm going to go crazy!' And like, I haven't gone completely crazy yet but…I'm a little bit crazy. For a long time, I thought I might be a journalist, because it's kind of similar to being an actress...you're thinking about people and the way that they function. And I would self-edit all the time, and when I was writing I would just rip out all of the pages. So the problem with this kind of exposure, in interviews, is that I immediately want to say, 'None of my opinions are final! Oh god, why did I say that?!' All the time. So, don't worry, I'll just panic when you leave the room." 


source via emma-stoners  

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Theme por Erica Pires © 2013 • Powered by Blogger • Todos os direitos reservados • Melhor Visualizado no Google Chrome • Topo